Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Why the Platypus?

So, why the platypus you ask? Well, it's because when I was around 6 years old I was browsing the stuffed animal section in Toys R Us with my parents when all of a sudden my eyes fell upon the fluffiest, most cuddle worthy animal I have ever laid my eyes upon. He wasn't a duck. He wasn't a beaver. Oh no - he was a PLATYPUS. He had silky soft white fur, a bright orange break and a large beaver-like tail. Now, being 5, I had never been introduced to said creature before. He was new and magnificent and I knew right then and there I had to have him. After much pleading and promising on my part to keep my room clean and be a good little girl, my parents agreed to purchase this perfect platypus for me. I quickly named him Duckles (I guess I still didn't understand this creature was not at least half duck) and I cuddled that darn animal every night for as long as I can remember.

Since that faithful day the platypus has become one of my all time favourite animals. I began collecting platypus dolls, platypus pictures, platypus facts, wrote essays on the platypus for school, etc. There is just something about this shy, odd looking creature that speaks to me. Unfortunately, my Duckles has long since vanished from my bedroom (a terrible accident in the dryer resulted in all his fur being stripped off... at which point I cried until I could cry no more while my mom sneakily threw him in the trash.) But Duckles memory lives on as I try to educate people on how awesome this misunderstood mammal is and how important it is to advocate for the protection of them.

And, hey, isn't the platypus just the cutest, coolest, craziest thing you've ever seen? ;) I definitely think so!


- Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment